1. General
2. PolyU-SPEED Award - Top-up Degree Programmes
3. Overseas Award - Undergraduate Programmes
4. Credit Accumulation Mechanism (CAM)

1. General

1Is there any admission quota for each programme?

Offer is made based on a number of factors, such as academic result, interview performance etc. The School may adjust the intake quota as appropriate taking into consideration the demand of each individual programme and/or the requirements of the respective overseas partners.

2Can I apply for Financial Assistance?

Students can apply for Government’s Non-means Tested Loan Scheme (NLS). Please visit for further details.

3Can I apply for Continuing Education Fund (CEF)?

Some local and overseas programmes offered by PolyU SPEED have been included in the list of reimbursable courses for Continuing Education Fund (CEF) purposes. Eligible applicants will be reimbursed 80% of the course fee, subject to a maximum sum of HK$10,000, on successful completion of a reimbursable course. Please visit for further details.

4Can I apply for the courses if I am not a Hong Kong resident?

Non-local students who do not have the right of abode in Hong Kong must obtain a student visa in order to study in Hong Kong. Please visit the HKSAR’s Immigration Department website at for further details on student visa application.

5Can I get my course fees back if I cancel my enrolment before the commencement of the course?

Course fees are normally not refundable according to the School’s Refund Policy, with the exception of unsuccessful applications and course cancellation. Fees paid and places enrolled are not transferable to other parties.

2. PolyU-SPEED Award - Top-up Degree Programmes

A) Qualification & Recognition
1Does PolyU recognise PolyU-SPEED academic award?

Both PolyU award and PolyU-SPEED award are granted by PolyU Senate.  In principle, SPEED cannot grant any award on its own.  Therefore, PolyU-SPEED award is recognised by PolyU.

2Are there any difference between the parchment of PolyU award and that of PolyU-SPEED award?

The parchment of PolyU-SPEED award contains the PolyU logo only (without SPEED logo) while the full English name of PolyU and SPEED will also be printed.

3What is the difference between "ordinary degree" and "honours degree"?

Under the traditional British university system, "honours degree" programmes are undergraduate degree programmes which generally require a graduation dissertation.

In the USA, universities do NOT offer "honours degree" programmes.  All university students are studying on four-year ordinary degree programmes.

In Australia, students normally enrol on three-year ordinary degree programmes.  Those with excellent academic performance are invited by universities to enrol on "honours degree" programmes, which are designed as research-based programmes for preparing students to pursue study in MPhil / PhD.

4Does HKSAR Government recognise PolyU-SPEED degree?

In the previous years, there were PolyU-SPEED degree graduates employed by the HKSAR Government on positions requiring a recognised degree. 

All PolyU-SPEED top-up degree programmes have been listed in the Qualification Register (QR) at Level 5 (Bachelor’s Degree level).

5What is the employment Prospects of PolyU-SPEED degree graduates?

Below are some findings of the graduate survey in 2012:

For the graduates who have joined the workforce,

  • —nearly 80% of them secured employment within 3 months.
  • —over 60% of them got at least 2 job offers.
  • —their  average monthly salary was around HK$11,000.
6Can PolyU-SPEED degree graduates apply for admission to master’s degree programmes?

Yes, all PolyU-SPEED awards are granted by PolyU Senate.  Generally speaking, these graduates can apply for admission to master’s degree programmes offered by PolyU and other universities.

Some of our graduates have completed or are studying master’s degree programmes in famous local and overseas universities.

B) Application & Admission
1When will the programmes be open for applications? When will the programmes begin?

All programmes are normally open for applications during March to June each year. Unless otherwise specified, programme commencement is early September each year.

2What are the general admission requirements for the top-up bachelor’s degree programmes?

Applicants should possess an Associate Degree or a Higher Diploma or equivalent qualification.  Mature applicants (aged 25 or above at commencement of study) with relevant working experience and prior studies in related fields may also apply.

3What are the selection criteria and when will the applicants be informed of the application results?

Applicants’ academic performance in prior study will be the major consideration during the initial screening process.  For part-time programmes, applicants’ working experience will also be considered.  Short-listed applicants may be invited to attend admission interview and / or test.

Applicants without the requisite academic qualifications but have fulfilled the requirements for mature candidates may also be considered.

Applicants of top-up degree programmes without sufficient knowledge in the areas concerned may be required to complete bridging course(s) as designed by SPEED before programme commencement or to fulfil additional credit requirements for graduation.

Applicants will normally be notified of the application results one month after the closing of applications.

4How can I submit an application?

Applications can be submitted through PolyU SPEED Online Application for Admission (OAA) System during the application period at:

Please refer to the OAA system for procedures for settling application fee and providing supporting documents to SPEED Offices after submitting the application online.

5If my application is successful, when will I be required to pay the tuition fee? Will the fee paid be refundable if I subsequently wish to withdraw from the programme enrolled?

Applicants will be required to pay HK$5,000 as registration fee, within 10 days from issuing of the notification of offer. The remaining balance of the tuition fee for the first semester of study will be due in mid August.

If a registered student submits an application for withdrawal before the programme commencement, the tuition fee paid after deducting the registration fee of HK$5,000 will be refunded. (For students who have been admitted to PolyU honours degree programmes or UGC-funded bachelor’s degree programmes of other local institutions, only HK$1,000 will be deducted.) No refund will be made for withdrawal application submitted after the programme commencement.

6If I need to take bridging course(s), will I be required to pay additional fee? What is the duration of the bridging courses?

The fee of the bridging courses is HK$3,500 (subject to annual review).  Students concerned will be required to pay the fee when completing programme registration procedures.  The bridging course fee paid is non-refundable.

If a student failed to complete the bridging course requirements and is eventually not eligible for admission to the top-up degree programme, the tuition fee paid for the programme will be fully refunded.

There are normally 35 contact hours for each bridging course.  Classes will be held on weekdays, Saturdays and / or Sundays from early July to late August.

Students who are required to take additional credits within the programme of study will need to pay the corresponding credit fees.

7If I have completed an Associate Degree or a Higher Diploma in related disciplines, will I be entitled for credit transfer for related subjects on admission to a PolyU-SPEED top-up degree programme?

The PolyU-SPEED bachelor’s degree programmes are top-up programmes with Associate Degree or Higher Diploma as the entry qualification.  Normally, credit transfer will not be granted for students based on studies at sub-degree level.

C) Study Pattern
1What is the normal study pattern for students?

Full-time students are normally required to study 15 credits* in each 14-week semester. Generally speaking, students may enjoy a summer break after two 14-week semesters in an academic year.

Part-time students are normally required to study 6 credits* in each 14-week semester or 3 credits* in each 7-week summer term.

*  Most of the subjects are 3-credit subjects.  A 3-credit subject normally consists of a total of 42 contact hours.

2How many classes are students required to attend in a week? When will the classes be held?

Under normal study load, the number of contact hours per week is about 15 for full-time students and 6 for part-time students.

Classes for full-time students will normally be held during daytime while classes for part-time students will normally be held on weekday evenings and/ or Saturday afternoons.

3Will students be allowed to deviate from the normal study pattern?

In consultation with the Programme Leader, students may adjust the study load according to their own needs.

In any case, the maximum duration of study on a programme is twice the normal duration.

3. Overseas Award - Undergraduate Programmes

Heriot-Watt University
Northumbria University
1Do the programmes offered by PolyU SPEED in collaboration with overseas universities require registration under the Education Bureau?

In compliance with the Non-local Higher and Professional Education (Regulation) Ordinance, all programmes offered by non-local universities through PolyU SPEED are exempted from registration under the Ordinance.  As conveyed by the Non-local Courses Registry of the Education Bureau, the registration or exemption from registration of a non-local programme is an assurance that the institution offering the programme is a recognised body in the home country. It also assures that effective measures are in place to ensure the standard of the programme offered locally is comparable to that of the home programme and is recognised as such by the institution, the relevant accreditation authority (if any) and the academic community in the home country.  Further details on such Ordinance can be obtained via the Education Bureau website at

2Is the award conferred by the overseas university?

Yes. The award will be conferred by the overseas university.

3What is the medium of instruction?

Classes will be conducted in English.

4When will classes commence?

For Heriot-Watt University's programmes, classes will commence in February and August/September.

For Northumbria University's programmes, classes will commence in February and/or September.

5When does application start?

For Heriot-Watt University's programmes, application will be invited in October/November (for the February intake) and in April/May (for the August/September intake).

For Northumbria University's programmes, application will be invited in October/November (for the February intake) and in April/May (for the September intake).

6What are the entrance requirements?

For Heriot-Watt University's programmes:

  • meet the English language entry requirements as indicated in application materials; AND either,
    1. holders of Higher Certificate/ Diploma/ Higher Diploma/ Associate Degree/ professional qualifications in related disciplines; or
    2. have obtained a pass in 2 subjects in GCE A-Level exam and achieved grade C or above in Math in HKCEE.

For Northumbria University's programmes:

  • holders of Higher Diploma or Associate Degree in business-related disciplines AND have achieved either a pass (Grade E or above) in HKALE Use of English, or a score of 575 in TOEFL, or 6.5 in IELTS, or equivalent in other tests of English;
  • holders of other qualifications with substantial relevant working experience may also apply.
7How much is the application fee and how can I settle it?

The application fee is HK$150. The fee can be settled through online banking, Automated Teller Machine (ATM), by Octopus at PolyU SPEED offices or direct deposit at the bank to the specified bank account.

8How can I submit the application form?

For Northumbria University's programmes, you can submit your application through one of the following channels:

  • In person: Application form can be submitted together with the original application fee payment receipt and copies of your certificates.
  • By mail: Application form can be submitted together with the original application fee payment receipt and copies of the certificates.
9Is there any admission interview?

For Heriot-Watt University's programmes, no interview is needed.
For Northumbria University's programmes, some applicants may be required to attend interviews and/or written tests.

10If my application for my 1st choice of programme is unsuccessful, do I need to apply again for my 2nd choice?

No. If your 1st choice is unsuccessful, you will be considered for admission to your 2nd choice and so on.

4. Credit Accumulation Mechanism (CAM)

1What are the entry requirements for CAM courses?

CAM is open to all lifelong learners. Most CAM courses are open-entry and admission is on a first-come, first-served basis. Some courses, however, have specific entry requirements or prerequisites. This is to ensure that learners have the prior knowledge or skills necessary for studying the topics covered.


2Are CAM students required to take specified courses in order to earn Professional and Continuing Education (PCE) awards?

You may take whatever courses you are interested in provided that you have fulfilled the entry requirements (if any) specified in the course information. You may study when you are ready or your other commitments allow, and leave at any exit points if your circumstances change.

There are, however, requirements on the number, level, nature and Grade Point Average of the credits used for claiming a PCE award. You should refer to “Introduction” on this website.


申請專業進修學術資格須符合有關學分數目、水平、性質及平均積分點的規定。詳情可參閱本網頁內 “Introduction” 。

3I have to suspend my studies under CAM because of my work commitment. Can I use the CAM credits for claiming PCE awards later?

The credits earned under CAM are valid for life. You may use the credits earned under CAM for claiming PCE awards in any academic year provided that you have met the requirements for a PCE award by 31 July of that year.


4How many credits may be transferred from my previous studies to CAM?

You may apply for credit transfer under CAM (Application Form SPD32C). We shall then assess your academic proof and decide how many credits can be transferred to CAM.

The use of credits earned by way of credit transfer to claim PCE awards is subject to the regulations for credit transfer as stipulated on “Introduction” on this website.


在使用轉移的學分作申請專業進修學術資格時,須符合詳列於本網頁內 “Introduction” 之條件。

5I am a CAM student. Can I use library and computing centres?

The kinds of facilities available are specific to the CAM course in which you are enrolled in and are listed in the promotional materials of the respective course and the admission letter. Normally, the right to use these facilities, if granted, will be available throughout the duration of the course.


6If I have already obtained a PCE award and wish to study towards other PCE awards at higher level under CAM, what should I do?

If you wish to re-use the credits previously used in obtaining a PCE award for claiming another PCE award at higher level, you should apply for credit transfer (Application Form SPD32C) and pay an application fee of HK$150 to transfer your previously claimed credits back to CAM.