Bachelor of Business Administration (Honours) in Accountancy - Full-time
Credits Required for Graduation
72 - 96 credits plus 3 training credits depending on entrance qualification. Students fulfilling specific requirements may be granted credit transfer of up to 9 credits.
Medium of Instruction
English (except for subjects with Chinese requirements)
Dr Bosco YU
BBA, MSc, PhD, CPA(Aust.)
31 Aug 2020
2 years (students from non-business related discipline will take more than 2 years)
Tuition Fee (Local students)
Tuition Fee (Non-local students)
Aims and Objectives
The Bachelor of Business Administration (Honours) in Accountancy equips students with necessary professional knowledge and skills in various aspects of accounting and related disciplines for them to pursue careers in business and professional development.
Students are required to complete the following requirements with satisfactory results for an honours degree:
|General University Requirements (GUR)||9 – 18||9 – 18|
|2 Cluster Area Requirements (CAR) subjects (including 1|
designated as China-related)+ , 3 credits each
|1 Service Learning (SL) OR Free Elective subject||3||3|
|Up to 3 Language and Communication Requirements (LCR) subjects (2 in English & 1 in Chinese), 3 credits each|
(for students who have not met the equivalent standard of undergraduate degree LCR based on their prior sub-degree studies only)*
|0 – 9||0 – 9|
|Discipline Specific Requirements (DSR)|
(Please refer to the table below for details.)
|63||66 – 78|
|Foundation||Up to 5 subjects, 3 credits each|
(for students from non-business-related disciplines only)
|Nil||3 – 15|
|Compulsory#||20 subjects, 3 credits each||60||60|
|Elective||1 subject, 3 credits each||3||3|
|Work-Integrated Education (WIE)|
|300 hours of work-based learning experience|
(Relevant work experience accumulated during or after subdegree studies may be considered for fulfilment of WIE.
Students will be invited to submit application for consideration after programme commencement.)
|Total||72 – 81 |
|75 – 96 |
Discipline Specific Requirements (DSR)
Foundation (up to 5 subjects for students from non-business-related disciplines only)
- Introduction to Accounting
- Introduction to Economics
- Introduction to Management
- Introduction to Marketing
- Statistical Data Analysis
Compulsory (all 20 subjects)
- Accounting Information Systems
- Advanced Financial Accounting
- Auditing and Assurance 1
- Business Finance
- Business Law
- Business Research Methods
- Capstone Project
- Chinese Language Communication for Business
- Company Law
- Corporate Finance
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Global Economic Environment
- Hong Kong Tax Framework
- Intermediate Accounting 1
- Intermediate Accounting 2
- Management Accounting 1
- Management Accounting 2
- Operations Management
- Strategic Management and Risk Governance
- Workplace English for Business Students
Elective* (any 1 subject)
- Auditing and Assurance 2
- China Business Management
- Financial Regulations and Compliance
- Cross-Cultural Management
- Financial Statement Analysis
- Human Resource Management
- Information Systems Audit and Control
- International Taxation
- Marketing Management
- Risk Management
Holder of a recognised Associate Degree, Higher Diploma or equivalent qualification in business-related areas. Applicants with qualifications in non-business-related areas will also be considered and, if admitted, are required to take appropriate foundation subject(s).
- The main medium of instruction of the study programme concerned should be English. Applicant who has completed the programme with other languages as the main medium of instruction should attain the following English Language requirement: IELTS 6.0 or TOEFL 550 (paper based); 80 (Internet based).
- An applicant who does not possess the above-mentioned qualification but has reached the age of 25 before 1 September, in the year in which he/she seeks admission, may apply as a mature applicant. A mature applicant should possess relevant work experience in senior positions and is expected to have completed some post-secondary studies in business-related areas. He/she will also be required to pass an admission test and demonstrate to the Admission Interview Panel his/her ability to complete the programme. In addition, he/she may be required to take appropriate foundation subject(s).
Students who have completed the Bachelor of Business Administration (Honours) in Accountancy programme will be eligible to:
- Enter the professional level of the Qualification Programme (QP) of the Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants (HKICPA),
- Receive exemption from Papers F1 to F9 of the professional examinations of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) provided that they have taken the subjects specified by the ACCA,
- Enter CPA Program of CPA Australia,
- Receive partial exemption from the professional examinations of the Hong Kong Institute of Chartered Secretaries (HKICS), and
- Receive partial exemption from the professional examinations of the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA).
The above professional bodies have the sole right to award exemptions.
External Programme Advisors:
Ivy CHEUNG, Partner of KPMG
Eugene LIU, Partner of RSM Nelson Wheeler
Equipped with a broad base of accountancy and related knowledge, graduates are able to pursue careers in any private or public business sector, be it commerce or industry. This qualification opens doors to a wide range of career opportunities, including accountancy, auditing, taxation, finance, management consultancy and other general management positions.
Student and Alumni Stories
BBA (Hons) in Accountancy
Staff Accountant I at Audit Department, SHINEWING (HK) CPA Limited
During my study in PolyU SPEED, I was offered various opportunities such as internships and student activities which were beneficial to my future career and all-round development.
BBA (Hons) in Accountancy
Assurance Associate at PricewaterhouseCoopers Hong Kong (PwC)
PolyU SPEED arranged internship opportunities with different reputable companies, which helped to improve my competitiveness. Also, I joined the Study Tour to Yunnan and met lots of new friends from different programmes.
BBA (Hons) in Accountancy
Employed at Crown (HK) CPA Limited
PolyU SPEED provided me with internship opportunities and practical knowledge conducive to my future career development. The programme lecturers were very supportive and sincere; they not only helped us solve academic problems but also provided career consultations.