Using Design Thinking for Better Digital Transformation in Hospitality
Medium of Instruction
The Medium of Instruction will be Cantonese. The teaching materials and assessments will be in English.
Duration & Contact Hours
Class Start Date
09 Dec 2021
HK$6,500 (Early Bird:HK$6,000; Apply on or before 30/11)
9 (PM) & 16 (Full day) December 2021
PM: 2:00pm - 6:00pm; Full day: 9:00am - 6:00pm
PolyU Main Campus / Hung Hom Bay Campus / West Kowloon Campus
6 Dec 2021 (Mon)
The course aims to help participants to build creative confidence and get ready to start adopting Design Thinking on projects. Participants will learn how to manage each phase of the Design Thinking methodology, namely the Double Diamond model, through a practical and interactive process. They will learn the Syllabus of Designthinkers Academy Design Thinking Fundamentals Course covered in a 1-day workshop, in addition to its real-life applications in businesses undergoing digital transformation from the guest speakers in half-day sharing session.
Phase one (Discover)
- To identify and categorise the key stakeholders affected by the business challenge. In addition, they need to explore the stakeholders’ critical experiences and their unmet, unexpressed, and potential demands.
Phase Two (Define)
- To determine the root cause of the identified business challenge and identify a clear innovative direction forward. Furthermore, innovation teams need to indicate the potential business values of the user demands, such as potential market size and possible impact of solutions.
Introduction to Applications of Design Thinking in Hospitality
- Case studies will be used to demonstrate how the lastest analytic tools can be applied in the hospitality industry.
Phase Three (Develop)
- To create and prioritise solutions based on pre-defined key performance indicators. As a human centered approach, the best solutions does not only involve creativity through introducing new product features or technological enhancements, but also directly address user experiences or emotional engagement.
Phase Four (Deliver)
- To create prototypes of possible solutions and present prototypes to users for feedback. Their feedback will be used for further development.
From Concept to Creation
- Guest sharing on the future of the hospitality industry in respect of design thinking.
Upon successful completion of the course with a minimum attendance rate of 80%, participants will be awarded a certificate of Completion from PolyU SPEED and a certificate of Design Thinking Fundamentals program from DesignThinkers Academy.
1. Application form can be downloaded from this website. Before completing the application form, please read carefully the "Guide for Applicants" on the form.
2. Please submit one application form and settle the course fee by bank draft/ crossed cheque/ On-line Card Payment System for each course applied. For details of payment methods, please refer to Section 4 of the application form or this web page.
3. Non-permanent residents of Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) holding
(i) work visa/ entry permit; OR
(ii) visa/ entry permit under the Immigration Arrangements for Non-local Graduates (IANG) (except those from Mainland, Macao and Taiwan); OR
(iii) dependent visa/ entry permit (except those from Mainland, Macao and Taiwan), issued by the Director of Immigration of HKSAR Government may enroll in short-term courses in SPEED without seeking prior approval from the Director of Immigration.
These applicants are required to attach a copy of their identity document(s) and the valid visa/ entry permit to their application. On admission, they will be required to provide the original identity document(s) and visa/ entry permit for verification. Throughout the course of study, it is the responsibility of individual students to ensure that their identity documents and visas/ entry permits are valid. Other non-local applicants can neither be registered as students nor commence their studies on the short-term courses in SPEED.
4. Applications should be submitted on or before the deadline for application via one of the following means -
(a) By post or by hand:
Submit the completed application form, supporting documents (if applicable) and a copy of your valid visa/ entry permit (if applicable) together with the bank draft/ crossed cheque/ payment confirmation page (for online payment) to School of Professional Education and Executive Development, Room QR802, 8/F, Core R, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hung Hom, Kowloon.
(b) By e-mail (for application with payment settled via online system only):
Submit the completed application form, supporting documents (if applicable) and a copy of your valid visa/ entry permit (if applicable) together with the payment confirmation page by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Payment Methods for Course Fee
Please choose either one of the following payment methods for course fee:
(1) Bank Draft/ Crossed Cheque
You could submit a bank draft/ crossed cheque (made payable to "The Hong Kong Polytechnic University") by post or by hand. Please write your name, the course code and class code at the back of the bank draft/ crossed cheque. Post-dated cheque will not be accepted.
(2) On-line Card Payment System (by Visa/ Master/ China UnionPay card)
You could settle the course fee via On-line Card Payment System by Visa/ Master/ China UnionPay card. For successful payment, please print the payment confirmation page for record and quote the invoice number (as shown on the payment confirmation page) on Section 4 of the application form.
According to the School's Refund Policy, course fees paid are normally not refundable, except cases of unsuccessful applications/ course cancellation. Fees paid and places allocated are not transferrable.