1. PolyU-SPEED Award - Articulation Degree Programmes
2. Overseas Award - Undergraduate Programmes
3. Credit Accumulation Mechanism (CAM)

1. PolyU-SPEED Award - Articulation Degree Programmes

A) Application/ Admission
1How can I submit an application?
[Students and graduates of Hong Kong Community College (HKCC) should submit their applications via my.HKCC  by following the steps therein in order to enjoy the waiver of application fee.]
Applications can be submitted through PolyU SPEED Online Application for Admission (OAA) system during the application period at:
Please refer to the information on the OAA system for the detailed procedures.
2Is there any application fee?

Yes. The application fee is HK$200.  

[No application fee is required for students and graduates of Hong Kong Community College (HKCC) who submit applications via my.HKCC.]

3What are the general admission requirements for the articulation degree programmes?

Applicants should possess an Associate Degree or a Higher Diploma or equivalent qualification.  Mature applicants (aged 25 or above before 1 September in the year in which they seek admission) with relevant working experience in senior positions as well as prior studies in related fields may also apply.

4What are the selection criteria and when will the applicants be informed of the application results?

Applicants’ academic performance in prior study will be the major consideration during the initial screening process.  For part-time programmes, applicants’ working experience will also be considered. 

Mature applicants will be considered on the basis of working experience (e.g. duration and relevance of the working experience as well as the seniority, etc.) and the relevance of their prior studies.

Short-listed applicants may be invited to attend admission interview and / or test.

Applicants will normally be notified of the application results within one month after the submission of the applications.

5Can I apply for the courses if I am not a Hong Kong resident?

Non-local students who do not have the right of abode in Hong Kong must obtain a student visa in order to study in Hong Kong. Please visit the HKSAR’s Immigration Department website at for further details on student visa application. 

6If I have completed an Associate Degree or a Higher Diploma in related disciplines, will I be entitled to credit transfer for related subjects on admission to a PolyU-SPEED articulation degree programme?

The PolyU-SPEED bachelor’s degree programmes are articulation programmes with Associate Degree or Higher Diploma as the entry qualification.  Normally, credit transfer will not be granted for students based on studies at sub-degree level.

B) Qualification & Recognition
1Does PolyU recognise PolyU-SPEED academic award?

Both PolyU award and PolyU-SPEED award are granted by PolyU Senate.  In principle, SPEED cannot grant any award on its own.  Therefore, PolyU-SPEED award is recognised by PolyU.

2Are there any difference between the parchment of PolyU award and that of PolyU-SPEED award?

The parchment of PolyU-SPEED award contains the PolyU logo only (without SPEED logo) while the full English name of both PolyU and SPEED will be printed.

3Does HKSAR Government recognise PolyU-SPEED degree?

In the previous years, there were PolyU-SPEED degree graduates employed by the HKSAR Government on positions requiring a recognised degree. 

PolyU-SPEED articulation degree programmes are listed in the Qualification Register (QR) of HKSAR at Level 5 (Bachelor’s Degree level).

4What are the employment prospects of PolyU-SPEED degree graduates?

Below are some findings of the graduate survey for graduates of full-time programmes in 2018:

  • Over 85% of the respondents secured full-time employment
  • Average monthly salary was around HK$14,100
  • Around 5% of respondents pursued further studies
C) Financial Assistance
1Can I apply for Financial Assistance?

Local full-time students enrolled in PolyU-SPEED award programmes are eligible to apply for means-tested Financial Assistance Scheme for Post-secondary Students (FASP) or Non-means-tested Loan Scheme for Post-secondary Students (NLSPS) while local part-time students are eligible to apply for Extended Non-means-tested Loan Scheme (ENLS) offered by the HKSAR Government’s Student Finance Office (SFO).  

If you wish to know more about FASP, NLSPS and ENLS, please visit the SFO website at

2Can I apply for Continuing Education Fund (CEF)?

Some subjects of the PolyU-SPEED award programmes have been included in the list of reimbursable courses under Continuing Education Fund (CEF).  Subjects prepared for students to claim for CEF are indicated by the CEF logo on the brochure as well as programme information on SPEED website. Effective from 1 April 2019, eligible applicants on successful completion of a reimbursable course will be reimbursed 80% of the course fee for the first HK$10,000, and 60% of the course fee for the second HK$10,000, subject to a maximum sum of HK$20,000.

Please visit for further details about CEF.

Students are not allowed to apply for both FASP and CEF for the same programme in the same academic year.

D) Study Pattern/ Classes
1Where do I have classes?

Classes of part-time programmes will normally be conducted on PolyU Hung Hom Bay Campus while those of full-time programmes will be conducted on PolyU Hung Hom Bay Campus or PolyU West Kowloon Campus.

2What is the normal study pattern for students?

Full-time students are normally required to study 15 credits (5 subjects) in each 13-week semester. Generally speaking, students may enjoy a summer break after two 13-week semesters in an academic year.

Part-time students are normally required to study 6 credits (2 subjects) in each 13-week semester and 3 credits (1 subject) in each 7-week summer term.

3How many classes are students required to attend in a week? When will the classes be held?

Under normal study load, the number of contact hours per week is about 15 for full-time students and 6 for part-time students.

While most of the classes for full-time students will be held in the daytime, some classes may be arranged in the evening.   Classes for part-time students will normally be held on weekday evenings and/ or Saturday afternoons.

2. Overseas Award - Undergraduate Programmes

Northumbria University
1Do the programmes offered by PolyU SPEED in collaboration with overseas universities require registration under the Education Bureau?

In compliance with the Non-local Higher and Professional Education (Regulation) Ordinance, all programmes offered by non-local universities through PolyU SPEED are exempted from registration under the Ordinance.  As conveyed by the Non-local Courses Registry of the Education Bureau, the registration or exemption from registration of a non-local programme is an assurance that the institution offering the programme is a recognised body in the home country. It also assures that effective measures are in place to ensure the standard of the programme offered locally is comparable to that of the home programme and is recognised as such by the institution, the relevant accreditation authority (if any) and the academic community in the home country.  Further details on such Ordinance can be obtained via the Education Bureau website at

For exempted programmes/ courses under the Non-local Higher and Professional Education (Regulation) Ordinance in Hong Kong, it is a matter of discretion for individual employers to recognise any qualification to which these programmes/ courses may lead.

2Is the award conferred by the overseas university?

Yes. The award will be conferred by the overseas university.

3What is the medium of instruction?

Classes will be conducted in English.

4When will the programmes commence?

The programmes will commence in January or September.

5When does the application start?

There are two intakes in each academic year, i.e. January and September.

Application will be invited in October/November (for the January intake) and in February/March (for the September intake).

6What are the entrance requirements?

Applicants should possess a Higher Diploma or an Associate Degree or an equivalent qualification in a business-related discipline or BTEC Higher National Diploma in Business, AND achieve a pass (Grade E or above) in HKALE Use of English, a score of 575 in TOEFL, or 6.5 in IELTS, or equivalent in other tests of English.

Holders of other qualifications with substantial relevant work experience may also apply. Such applications will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

7How much is the application fee and how can I settle it?

The application fee is HK$150. The fee can be settled through online banking, Automated Teller Machine (ATM), by Octopus at PolyU SPEED offices or direct deposit at the bank to the specified bank account.

8How can I submit the application form?

You can submit your application in person or by mail.

Application form should be submitted together with the original application fee payment receipt and copies of your certificates and transcripts.

9Is there any admission interview?

Some applicants may be required to attend interviews and/or written tests as and when necessary.

10If my application for my 1st choice of programme is unsuccessful, do I need to apply again for my 2nd choice?

No. If your 1st choice is unsuccessful, you will be considered for admission to your 2nd choice and so on.

3. Credit Accumulation Mechanism (CAM)

1What are the entry requirements for CAM courses?

CAM is open to all lifelong learners. Most CAM courses are open-entry and admission is on a first-come, first-served basis. Some courses, however, have specific entry requirements or prerequisites. This is to ensure that learners have the prior knowledge or skills necessary for studying the topics covered.


2Are CAM students required to take specified courses in order to earn Professional and Continuing Education (PCE) awards?

You may take whatever courses you are interested in provided that you have fulfilled the entry requirements (if any) specified in the course information. You may study when you are ready or your other commitments allow, and leave at any exit points if your circumstances change.

There are, however, requirements on the number, level, nature and Grade Point Average of the credits used for claiming a PCE award. You should refer to “Introduction” on this website.


申請專業進修學術資格須符合有關學分數目、水平、性質及平均積分點的規定。詳情可參閱本網頁內 “Introduction” 。

3I have to suspend my studies under CAM because of my work commitment. Can I use the CAM credits for claiming PCE awards later?

The credits earned under CAM are valid for life. You may use the credits earned under CAM for claiming PCE awards in any academic year provided that you have met the requirements for a PCE award by 31 July of that year.


4How many credits may be transferred from my previous studies to CAM?

You may apply for credit transfer under CAM (Application Form SPD32C). We shall then assess your academic proof and decide how many credits can be transferred to CAM.

The use of credits earned by way of credit transfer to claim PCE awards is subject to the regulations for credit transfer as stipulated on “Introduction” on this website.


在使用轉移的學分作申請專業進修學術資格時,須符合詳列於本網頁內 “Introduction” 之條件。

5I am a CAM student. Can I use library and computing centres?

The kinds of facilities available are specific to the CAM course in which you are enrolled in and are listed in the promotional materials of the respective course and the admission letter. Normally, the right to use these facilities, if granted, will be available throughout the duration of the course.


6If I have already obtained a PCE award and wish to study towards other PCE awards at higher level under CAM, what should I do?

If you wish to re-use the credits previously used in obtaining a PCE award for claiming another PCE award at higher level, you should apply for credit transfer (Application Form SPD32C) and pay an application fee of HK$150 to transfer your previously claimed credits back to CAM.