Certificate in Phonics Teaching to Young Learners
Phonics Education Association (PEA)
Medium of Instruction
Duration & Contact Hours
3 months; 39 hours
Class Start Date
15 Sep 2022
15 Sep 2022 - 15 Nov 2022 (all Tuesdays and Thursdays, except 4, 27 Oct, 3 & 10 Nov 2022)
7:00pm - 10:00pm
PolyU West Kowloon Campus
7 Sep 2022 (Wed)
The course equips students with the initial skills and knowledge needed to take up positions as Phonics teachers in a variety of teaching contexts. Successful students will be able to evaluate their own effectiveness as Phonics teachers and demonstrate awareness of the need of further professional development.
Upon completion of the course, students will be able to:
- produce the 44 English phonemes and other key sound clusters accurately by monitoring the place and manner of articulation;
- demonstrate an ability to teach Phonics effectively to young learners in contexts of speaking, listening, reading and writing;
- apply the principles of language acquisition in young learners and letter-sound relationships in lesson planning and delivery;
- apply the concepts of decoding and encoding in selecting/adapting appropriate teaching resources; and
- evaluate their own and others’ Phonics teaching and teaching materials.
This course has been included in the list of reimbursable course under the Continuing Education Fund (CEF). This course is recognized under the Qualification Framework (QF Level 4). For details of the CEF, please visit the CEF website: https://www.wfsfaa.gov.hk/cef.
This course is recognised under the Hong Kong Qualifications Framework (HKQF) at Level 4 and is now available on Qualification Register (QR) (QR Registration No.: 19/001255/L4；validity period from 3 October 2019). For details of the HKQF, please visit the QR website: https://www.hkqr.gov.hk.
1. Techniques and Approaches for Young Learners
2. Phonemes and Graphemes
3. Introduction to Teaching Phonics
4. Decoding and Encoding
5. Phonics Lesson Planning
6. Phonics Lessons in Action
7. Challenges and Exceptions in Phonics
8. Phonics Resources
9. Phonics Programmes and Readers
10. Classroom Assessments
11. Role and Responsibilities of Stakeholders
12. Continuous Professional Development
The applicants should:
- have a bachelor’s degree awarded by a recognised university or equivalent, such as Bachelor’s Degree in Education/ Early Childhood Education/ English/ Language Arts, or Postgraduate Diploma in Education (English Language), or Teaching English as a Second Language, or Teaching English as a Foreign Language, or Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages; OR
- have an Associate Degree or a Higher Diploma or equivalent qualification in related fields, such as an AD/HD in English, plus requisite proficiency in English – Grade E or above in Use of English in HKALE (AS-level) or Level 3 or above in English Language in HKDSE or Grade B or above in any one English Language subject at sub-degree level or equivalent qualification; OR
- have reached the age of 25 at course commencement (as mature applicants) and have at least one year of English teaching experience at primary or kindergarten level or at a registered learning centre.
Applicants may be required to attend an admission interview.
Students who have passed and completed the assessments, and attended at least 80% of the course will be presented with a Certificate awarded by PolyU SPEED.
1. Application form can be downloaded from this website. Before completing the application form, please read carefully the "Guide for Applicants" on the form.
2. Please submit one application form and settle the course fee by bank draft/ crossed cheque/ On-line Card Payment System for each course applied. For details of payment methods, please refer to Section 4 of the application form or this web page.
3. Non-permanent residents of Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) holding
(i) work visa/ entry permit; OR
(ii) visa/ entry permit under the Immigration Arrangements for Non-local Graduates (IANG) (except those from Mainland, Macao and Taiwan); OR
(iii) dependent visa/ entry permit (except those from Mainland, Macao and Taiwan), issued by the Director of Immigration of HKSAR Government may enroll in short-term courses in SPEED without seeking prior approval from the Director of Immigration.
These applicants are required to attach a copy of their identity document(s) and the valid visa/ entry permit to their application. On admission, they will be required to provide the original identity document(s) and visa/ entry permit for verification. Throughout the course of study, it is the responsibility of individual students to ensure that their identity documents and visas/ entry permits are valid. Other non-local applicants can neither be registered as students nor commence their studies on the short-term courses in SPEED.
4. Applications should be submitted on or before the deadline for application via one of the following means -
(a) By post or by hand:
Submit the completed application form, supporting documents (if applicable) and a copy of your valid visa/ entry permit (if applicable) together with the bank draft/ crossed cheque/ payment confirmation page (for online payment) to School of Professional Education and Executive Development, Room QR802, 8/F, Core R, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hung Hom, Kowloon.
(b) By e-mail (for application with payment settled via online system only):
Submit the completed application form, supporting documents (if applicable) and a copy of your valid visa/ entry permit (if applicable) together with the payment confirmation page by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Payment Methods for Course Fee
Please choose either one of the following payment methods for course fee:
(1) Bank Draft/ Crossed Cheque
You could submit a bank draft/ crossed cheque (made payable to "The Hong Kong Polytechnic University") by post or by hand. Please write your name, the course code and class code at the back of the bank draft/ crossed cheque. Post-dated cheque will not be accepted.
(2) On-line Card Payment System (by Visa/ Master/ China UnionPay card)
You could settle the course fee via On-line Card Payment System by Visa/ Master/ China UnionPay card. For successful payment, please print the payment confirmation page for record and quote the invoice number (as shown on the payment confirmation page) on Section 4 of the application form.
According to the School's Refund Policy, course fees paid are normally not refundable, except cases of unsuccessful applications/ course cancellation. Fees paid and places allocated are not transferrable.